Thursday 13 February 2020

Record Ride Musings #5


“Derr are two fings wot don’t laast. Daawgs wot chase kaars and a gambler wot bets against Woolnough and Greaves.” – Anon
I could'a lost my house doubting these two.

Off I went to the finish line. A lighthouse beacon that stands guard on the one side of the breakwater. Creating a calm, protective entrance to the harbour, it stands strangely isolated and melancholy thrust out to sea.
It makes a statement. A fitting end to a challenging adventure.

I was tired now and popped in to the yacht club to catch some kip on Vaughn's boat. But sleep wouldn't come. I looked up their progress on the Spot Tracker. Plenty of time for me to find an ATM.
Or so I thought.

The tracker had suddenly shown their arrival. Dammit! How? That's poor, Niven! Someone needs to be there to make a fuss! I battled to start my motorcycle one last time and sped off to meet the dots.

They were there and their families had not let me down. The welcoming party did its thing. Congratulations were extended and smiles were shared. Werner Nienaber popped in with a six pack cooler box. What a nice touch, I thought!

It's a strange thing. The end to these type of endurance events.
No major fanfare. No banners or fireworks. No prize money or sponsorship deals. No television crews.

Just two guys, content in the knowledge of a job well done.
New record - 36hours 25minutes and 25 seconds.









No comments:

Post a Comment